Crucifix

Abstract

In a side chapel on the left side of Santi Celso e Giuliano in Rome is a polychrome wood crucifix, believed to have been made in Lucca for a man named Giovanni Santo Lucchese. The earliest mention of the sculpture in church records dates to 1490, suggesting it was made sometime prior.

The wood surface shows visible signs of damage: the shins and feet are significantly abraded with pieces of wood missing. The feet have darkened, likely from candle smoke and devotional touching. In addition, the torso is marked with a long vertical crack, with another in the loincloth, possibly where two pieces of wood were joined to make the crucifix. A large cavity at Christ’s side—the fifth wound—may once have been used in theatrical reenactments of the Passion during Holy Week because the opening looks like the shape of a spear.

Photograph(s) licenced under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.

Description

Santi Celso e Giuliano, Rome

Keywords

Crucifix, Christ, Crucifixion, Passion, Jesus

Citation

Information from church signage.

Endorsement

Review

Supplemented By

Referenced By